Tuesday, November 30, 2010

#9 Letter

Dr. Ribeau
Howard University President
Howard University
2400 Sixth Street
Washington, DC 20059

Dear Dr. Ribeau :
My name is Albert Charles Ellis III. I am a freshman philosophy major at Howard University. It has recently come to my attention that my major and many others are under review for closure, consolidation or restructuring.  Although I understand why it is necessary to review all majors to make sure they are still prevalent, I think you should reconsider some of the majors and degree programs up for closure.  
Howard University is known as one of the best HBCU’S in the country. It is where educated African-Americans go to further their knowledge in a wide array of subjects. By taking away some of these majors you are taking away the uniqueness that this university is known for. When I applied to Howard University I did so because of all the majors this university had to offer.  Because there are so many options, it allows the student to broaden their horizons and learn more. When many students come to Howard they realize how many different subjects they can major in. For instance when applying for college I knew I wanted to become a lawyer but I did not know what major I should take to get me there. I knew that a very popular major was political science but I did not want to major in that. As I was researching I came upon philosophy. I did not know what is was before, but the more I read about the major the more intrigued I became. Philosophy teaches analytical thinking and debating skills. It teaches its students how to form a proper argument and how to execute those arguments into statements. A major like this gives students like me an option other than political science. Many other majors that are up for closure are similar to philosophy. They are outlets for students who do not want to take the conventional classes.
            I understand that it is impossible to keep all the majors but if you eliminate all or most of these majors I am sure you will lose many students to other schools that do offer such courses. I would appreciate the opportunity to meet to suggest alternatives and to keep the high quality of education that Howard or a University offer. Thank you for your consideration and I hope to hear from you soon. I will telephone your office in the next week to discuss a possible place and time for a meeting.

1 comment:

  1. I really think you should send this letter to the President of Howard University. You are not the only student that feels this way and I think he should know how the students feel; after all we do pay to attend this institution. I agree with everything you are saying here and to be honest I do not get the logic of what they did. I don't know for sure, but I heard that it is because of money problems. If this is true, then by taking these majors away people are not going to attend here and if they already to do will transfer. Howard U is one of the top HBCU's if not the top and if it wants to remain on top they need to figure out a solution.

    ReplyDelete